When Parental Alienation Impacts Your Child Custody Case

One concern many parents have during divorce involves parental alienation. Parental alienation is a serious concern for many parents, and it becomes important for them to shed light on this issue in court.

Are you worried about parental alienation in your situation? Are you interested in proving that your ex is trying to alienate you from your child in a custody case? These are some of the ways you can prove your case.

Your Child Does Not Listen to You

You may find that your child does not believe they need to listen to your orders or requests, perhaps because they have been told your orders are not important. You may be able to prove this in court by documenting your interactions in which your child refuses to listen to you. If you have a paper trail, you can provide evidence during your custody case.

Your Child Is Negative About Your Entire Family

In some cases, the child rejects the entire family, including your parents and other children. This can be particularly difficult to deal with. Some people may record these interactions or write them down so that they can be addressed in court. Your other family members may also serve as witnesses.

Your Child Parrots the Other Parent

When your child parrots the other parent or says things that are quite similar to things the other parent says, you may believe the other parent is speaking to the child about your relationship. This is not something family court judges like to see, and custody attorneys often advise parents to keep the case between the adults.

Your Child Has Selective Memories

If your child seems to have forgotten about all the good times you've shared, it could be an indicator they have been told that those were not good memories. Again, make sure you take note of these instances. It helps to continue making positive memories when you do have time to spend together.

Your Child Refuses Visitation

If a child refuses to go to visitation or a custody exchange, take note of the instance in writing. You can bring this to your attorney for further guidance. You may find that it makes sense to get an emergency custody order, for instance.

Consult With a Divorce Attorney

Ultimately, it is important that you speak with a child custody lawyer or divorce attorney to learn more about your options. Parental alienation is a serious issue that you should always confront in the courtroom.